Looking to watch again? Head to the bottom of the page.
Like so many things this year, the Reforesting Scotland Annual Gathering was a bit different from normal. Our usual physical get-together, with shared dining, a ceilidh and lots of mingling, would neither have been sensible or legal, so we embraced the idea of an online event and decided to make the most of the positives that this format offers.
It was an all-day event with the usual mix of speakers, visits, discussions and music. We had a spread of topics that you could dip in and out of the event during the day. We emphasised speakers from islands and overseas, who might usually find it difficult to get to a Gathering. Speakers included: Duncan Halley, a Scottish researcher based in Norway, on what Norway’s experience of reforestation can teach us here; Maggie Fyffe of the Eigg Trust on 23 years of community ownership of an island; and Kate Holl on ‘Reflowering Scotland’.
- Date: Saturday 21st November 2020
- Time: 10am – 9.30pm
- Open to all, members and non-members
- Price: Registration is free, but donations encouraged (suggested donation £10)
The event was run on the Zoom platform, recorded and broadcast live on our Facebook group.
- 10:00 Main speaker: Duncan Halley – Reforesting Norway and Scotland
- 11:00 Main speaker: Maggie Fyffe – Community Ownership on Eigg
- 12:00 Peter Livingstone – Visit to the Yearnstane Project
- 13:00 Isle Martin Trust – Visit to Isle Martin
- 14:00 Quick visits to members’ crofts, woods, and building projects
- 15:00 Panel discussion: Rewilding
- 16:00 Panel discussion: Giving voice to forest communities – an international perspective
- 17:00 Panel discussion: Community Land Ownership
- 18:00 Evening speaker: Kate Holl – Reflowering Scotland
- 20:00 ONLINE CEILIDH with Mairi Campbell
- 21:30 Farewell and goodnight
Each session was followed with a Q&A where you could put questions to the speakers and panelists. There was a very active live chat running all day too.
Feedback & Donations
We’d love your feedback on the day, to help us in planning future events. We also really appreciate donations from those who attended or enjoy the recording, to help us cover costs of running the event.
We recorded the event and it is available to watch online for free. The recording includes the live chat window.
Note that the recording below is edited with breaks removed, so timings are not as the programme. Some sessions were not recorded at the request of the speakers. See the times below to skip to certain sessions.
Links & Presentations
Here we will add links to download presentations as well as further information requested in the chat discussion. If you are looking for something in particular, please contact us and we’ll try to add it. Please bear with us as we get permissions for links before sharing them.
- Duncan Halley – Reforesting Norway and Scotland: Starts at 5:43 Presentation
- Maggie Fyffe – Community Ownership on Eigg: Starts at 1:03:00 no files yet
- Joe Greenlees – Visit to the Yearnstane Project: Starts at 1:47:15 no files yet
- Isle Martin Trust – Visit to Isle Martin: Starts at 2:32:44 no files yet
- Quick Visit – The Wee Wood: Starts at 3:23:35 no files yet
- Quick Visit – The Wild Croft: Starts at 3:35:50 Website | RCW (ramial chipped wood)
- Quick Visit – Falkland: Starts at 3:49:46 no files yet
- Quick Visit – Hut of Wellbeing: More Info
- Panel discussion: Rewilding: Starts at 4:07:30 no files yet
- Panel discussion: Giving voice to forest communities – an international perspective: starts at 5:08:44 no files yet
- Panel discussion: Community Land Ownership: Starts at 5:52:50 no files yet
- Evening speaker: Kate Holl – Reflowering Scotland: Starts at 6:45:35 Kate’s Report