Like so many things this year, the Reforesting Scotland Annual Gathering is going to be a bit different from normal. Our usual physical get-together, with shared dining, a ceilidh and lots of mingling, is unlikely to be sensible or legal, so we have embraced the idea of an online event and decided to make the most of the positives that this format offers.
We are planning an all-day event with the usual mix of speakers, visits, discussions and music. We’ll have a spread of topics that you can dip in and out of during the day. We’re emphasising speakers from islands and overseas, who might usually find it difficult to get to a Gathering. Confirmed speakers include: Duncan Halley, a Scottish researcher based in Norway, on what Norway’s experience of reforestation can teach us here; Maggie Fyffe of the Eigg Trust on 23 years of community ownership of an island; and Kate Holl on ‘Reflowering Scotland’.
- Date: Saturday 21st November 2020
- Time: 10am – 9.30pm
- Open to all, members and non-members
- Price: Registration is free, but donations encouraged (suggested donation £10)
Please note the later-than-usual date, taking advantage of the darker days for an all-inside event.
We will be using the Zoom platform to run the event, and you can register for the event for free (no account required). You will be able to chat online with others throughout the day and ask questions to the panelists during Q&A sessions. You do not need to have a webcam or microphone to take part.
We will also be broadcasting the event live on our Facebook Groups, and it will be recorded for those who cannot attend.
- Duncan Halley – Reforesting Norway and Scotland
- Maggie Fyffe – Community Ownership on Eigg
- Kate Holl – Reflowering Scotland
- Joe Greenlees – Visit to the Yearnstane Project
- Isle Martin Trust – Visit to Isle Martin
- Quick visits to members’ crofts, woods, forest gardens and building projects
- Panel discussion on Rewilding
- Panel discussion on International Social Forestry and Land Rights
- Panel discussion on Land Reform and Community Ownership
- ONLINE CEILIDH with Mairi Campbell
A full program with timings for each speaker will be published nearer the time.
Registering & Updates
Register for the event now to receive reminders before the event. You can also sign up to our Facebook event for updates and notifications. We’ll also be updating this page as speakers are confirmed and we have finalised timings for the day.